As a real estate expert I know there are a variety of things home owners can do to increase the value of their home. Not all of the home improvement projects need to cost an arm and a leg. But if you want buyers to fall in love with your house, then you need to eliminate any questions they have about work to be done and help them envision their ability to move right in and start unpacking. Here are 5 suggestions to help you do just that:
- Landscaping- Trim back and prune trees and shrubbery. The overgrown greens impede the view of the house and obstruct the view from the inside, too. The darkening effect of overgrown shrubbery can be avoided as well as concerns about mold growth.
- Front Door- First impressions start here and are significant in decision making! Do you need to repaint the door so it is crisp and clean? Make sure the doorbell works. A covered entry or portico is a plus, especially on a rainy day.
- Let the Lights Shine- Add dimmer switches at appropriate locations. Keep in mind bright lighting can make small spaces appear larger while softer lights can create warmth. You may even consider installing sun tubes to allow natural lighting in various locations. Watch this video to see how easily this can be done.
4. Take Care of Maintenance-By focusing on the basics, including those punch list items you have gotten accustomed to and now ignore, you will eliminate many questions buyers have about your house. Insulate the attic, fix that leaky pipe, replace a rusty gutter or a broken window pane. Have an objective friend walk through the house with you and point out anything that sticks out to them and then hit it!
5. Bathroom Refresher- A bathroom renovation can be very pricey. You can refresh your bathroom to make a positive impact! Clean the tile grout and apply fresh caulking where needed. Replace outdated knobs and pulls on the cabinets and drawers. Remove rust stains and consider replacing faucets.Prepare your home to show well with these inexpensive techniques. Your return on investment will be phenomenal because your home will appear fresh and well maintained to all prospective buyers and therefore you will get offers on the property!